Friday, January 2, 2009

Don't Forget Your Cycling Roots

Heading into my first race of the new season, I have been reflecting on the past. I have gotten some awesome sponsors, but it required a trip to Las Vegas, a formal proposal, and a lot of walking and talking.

The one sponsor who has been beside me since Day 1 has been The Outdoor Store. Bruce and Pam have never wanted nothing more other than me wearing their shop jersey, yet they have given me so much. Time is a very important commodity in today's crazy world. I cannot begin to count the many times they have taken their precious time to help me and my broken bikes.

I am not sure how much I have helped their business by sporting their jersey ... probably not much. I do mention them at every opportunity but has that increased there cash flow? Probably not. I have their logo on my blog, my truck, and a jacket. Other than being asked if I own or work at the store, it probably has not turned into a purchase.

I remember my first ride on clipless pedals ... way back in 1999. I went with Pam and Bruce to the Tellico River State Line ORV trail system. My first thoughts were, "This is not the place to start clipless. I am going to DIE!" Now when I ride there, it is effortless.

I have come a long way in the last 10 years. I would not be where I am without the backing of The Outdoor Store. I plan on going longer the next 10 years.

Thanks Pam and Bruce.

No comments: