Sunday, February 11, 2024

Snake Creek Gap TT - 34 Mile Race Report

Blaze, 6 years old and still crushin' it!


This year marks the 20th anniversary of this race.  It has taken on several evolutions since 2005, where it started out as a series of 5 races, starting at Dug Gap and finishing at Dry Creek. This year marks the last time there will be a 50 mile offering, and along with the BEST FEBRUARY weather since its inception, everyone showed up! 

I feel very fortunate to have competed every year.  While I have not raced every month of every year, based upon my record keeping, today will be the 46th time I have toe'd the line. While I have a few 50 mile buckles, I have opted to race the "meat and potatos" version since 2019. 

With a dry, fast course and temps starting in the 40's and peaking in the 60's, this would have been the day to go for a sub-4 hour.  However, I had just completed the Huracan the weekend before ... a 400 mile bike packing ITT in central Florida. So when I woke up that morning and my Garmin told me I had a training readiness score of 5 (out of 100) and Training Peaks said my Form was -35, I told myself to just go out, have fun, and enjoy being able to ride. Is a recovery ride even possible on The Snake 😂😂😂?

It was nice not to be shivering and having to do jumping jacks at the start to keep warm. I had a wool base layer and arm/leg warmers on, along with the chemical warmers in my shoes and gloves to keep my fingers and toes alive.

With the shuttle arriving just before 8 am, I was one of the last to go off.  Perfect, as I was in my own little bubble most of the day.  I didn't even let the fact that my Garmin would not acquire GPS satellites for the first 16 miles get to me.

While pedaling along before the bridge crossing, I did set a few goals since a sub-4 hour on the course was out of the question. They were to clean the entirety of the first half and not let Sierra catch me (she was racing the 50).

Once the climbing began, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get my heart rate up and that the legs didn't feel too too bad.  Granny was my best friend of the day and I definitely wore those teeth down on that 52 over the course.  

I did get annoyed slightly at a couple of riders that came upon me, not wanting to pass (as I asked), but intent on being "up my butt."  I am pretty sure there is no drafting benefit at 5.3 mph.  Eventually they either fell off their bike as I hit some steep sections at almost a "track-standing" pace, or they passed me as I took a breather before the next climb.

The Pine Needle Hill re-route was a nice change, eliminating the white knuckle descent, which I have a love/hate relationship with.  Although that descent is baller fun, it has almost taken me out a time or two.

I was indeed able to "clean" all of Horn Mountain, including the clay hill climb, which was dry!  Even the section of Pilcher's Pond, usually horsed up and muddy, was in primo shape.  I rolled down into the parking lot about the hour 2 mark and had the volunteers refill my CamelBak while I consumed a gel and removed my arm warmers. I wanna give a shout out to these ladies as they have been manning this aid station for as long as I can remember.  I bet they were happy for this weather, too!

After the 2 minute aid station stop, I slowly made my way up Middle Mountain, allowing my legs to come back to life.  As a strong woman passed by me towards the top, I thought that Sierra had caught up to me.  Fortunately it was the young speedster, Ava, so my goal of not getting passed by Sierra was still a possibility. Sasquatch scared the 💩 out of the person in front of me, which was good for a laugh. 

Once on the ridge, it was a pleasant roll and I believe I even had a tail wind.  The miles rolled on as I descended down to Swamp Creek and then made my way up Hurricane.  It was here that I experienced my low ... legs were done, or at least felt so.  

As I rounded the corner to begin the last single track section, I thanked the volunteers for being there and said out loud, "It's all downhill from here."  A good friend (John Switow) told me a few years back when we raced the Appalachian Journey, that if you can make it to the last 25 miles of an event, you can finish it.  So, for me, this section was my last "25 miles." 

Despite the fatigue monster on my back, I had a respectable ride and continued my personal challenge to ride as much of the technical bits as possible.  I surprised myself in a few sections and others, well, just couldn't manage to turn the pedals over. 

I finished with a time of 4:23:20.  Good enough for 2nd in the women over 40 class.  And both mini goals accomplished. Hats off to Lisa with a time of 4:08:17.  If the course is as good in March, I know she will be able to get her sub-4; me, too, hopefully.

This was definitely a 5-G kind of day:  grit, gristle, gumption, granny, gear! 

No comments: