Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Sea to Sea Expedition Race is fixin' to happen





Tomorrow is a not a BDR, but a BDA (Big Dumb Adventure). While it looked like a fun and exciting challenge back in the fall, now that it is less than 12 hours away, it looks formidable.  I am not worried about my fitness, as I am confident that I can bike, trek, and paddle 350-400 miles over 3 days.  

What concerns me the most is being cold and wet. As of now, there is a chance of rain Thursday night into Friday morning and the nights will be in the 40's. This body loves warmth; I excel in the heat/humidity compared to others.  I have never been able to acclimate well to the cold.  It has only gotten worse since menopause.  

I also have Raynaud's, a condition where the vessels in your extremities constrict excessively in response to cold, limiting the blood supply to the affected area. Sometimes, temperatures in the 50's can trigger it.  If this happens for an extended period, I lose dexterity in my hands and feet, which makes it extra challenging to shift and brake on the bike, and for punching a checkpoint or digging in my pack to extricate what I might need at any moment.


I told the driver to take it easy in the turns.


I have all the layers packed into my "bin of fears."  This is a 27 gallon plastic tote that we have to pack all our supplies (nutrition, clothing, first aid, lights, shoes, spare parts), which has a weight limit of 40.0 pounds.  If you saw my clothing, you would think I was racing in Alaska!



I have an awesome team mate that won't let me die of exposure, but I also don't want to be a burden and I want to hold my own throughout the event, perhaps even taking the lead in case she has an unexpected issue.  So I will put on my triple G hat (grit, gristle, and gumption) and keep a positive mindset.  After all, I chose to do this, I want to do this, and it is an opportunity so many people don't have. 

I just finished watching "Society of the Snow."  If those courageous young men can survive 72 days in the Andes in sub-zero temps, surely I can survive 72 hours.


Looking forward to this on Sunday


" 'It's impossible,' said pride.  'It's risky,' said experience. 'It's pointless,' said reason. 'Give it a try,' whispered the heart." -- Unknown



No comments: