Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti Review

Now that I have ridden 1 P36, 2 PMBAR's, 2 Pisgah 111's, 2 Pisgah 55.5's, 1 Double Dare, and countless training miles, I can give an honest opinion of the worthiness of these pedals.


M Force 8 Ti


Prior to 2013, I had been a long time Shimano SPD user.  But, in 2012, after having two sets of XTR M-980's break at the spindle/pedal interface while just pedaling on the flats (could not even blame it on a rogue rock), I decided it was time for a change.

Although the Xpedo's were more expensive, they were also a heck of a lot lighter ... 100grams lighter!  The body and spindle are titanium and they have 3 sealed cartridge bearings.  There is a 180 pound rider weight limit.  However, they do have the M Force 8 Cr (cromoly spindles as opposed to titanium)that do not have a weight limit.

You can use the cleats that come with the pedal or you can use the Shimano SPD cleats.  Both have 6 degrees of float.

I have banged them on rocks; no breakage.  I have used them in the mud; they shed it like nobody's business.  The entry/exit is solid; no worries coming unclipped in the gnar.  I have done no maintainence other than cleaning them and applying a bit of ProGold LuberPen oil on the springs.

I also have the M Force 4Ti, with aluminum body and titanium spindle, on my road bike.  This set is two years old and is still going strong.  I have not had to rebuild them.  And they only weigh 15 grams more.

M Force 4 Ti


So if you are looking for a durable, long lasting SPD style pedal, take a look at what Xpedo has to offer.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read other reviews that the Xpedo M-Force 8 ti is difficult to clip into. Is that the case? How difficult was it for you?

Carey Lowery said...

I have no problems clipping in. As easy as the Shimano SPD's.