Thursday, December 4, 2008

6 Random Things

...about myself that you may not know. I got tagged by Namrita, so here I go:

  1. I wanted to become a veterinarian since I was old enough to pronounce the word. I think I was 4. Guess what Carly wants to become? Let's see if she changes her mind over the next 17 years.
  2. I am a veteran of Operation Desert Storm. I was proud to serve my country for 8 years, with a 6 month stint in Saudi Arabia/Iraq as a heavy equipment operator (dozers, pans, graders, front end loaders). Yeah, I am a Tonka fanatic. My unit built roads and runways while dodging "scuds."
  3. While in college, I tried out for "American Gladiators." I passed the first two tests, 50 push-ups in 60 seconds followed by 12 pull-ups in 60 seconds. However, I got "pummelled" in the pummel stick fighting and was sent home.
  4. When I was in 3rd grade, I "threw" a class spelling bee. I did not want to win because then I would have had to participate in the school-wide bee up on stage in front of students and parents. To this day, I still have stage fright!
  5. Charlie and I were married on Andrews Bald in the Smoky Mountains. I was surprised that about 25 people endured a rocky technical hike (4 miles round trip). It drizzled lightly that morning. I have heard it is good luck to have rain on your wedding day.
  6. I almost died of anaphalaxis during Basic Training at Fort Jackson. During hand-to-hand combat, I was bitten numerous times by fire ants. My drill sergeant thought I was wimping out of training, but I guess when I collapsed at his feet, he realized that both he and I were in deep sh!t. I am very thankful that the hospital was only 1/4 mile away.

Tag! You're it: Zeke, Lisa, Mallie, Julia, Sue, and Brigette.

No comments: