Sunday, May 14, 2023

Pedaling for the Paws ... Again!

 


I have the desire to scratch this "pay it forward" itch that has been hounding me the past 6 months or so.  It is just the challenge that comes with it is daunting.  Back in 2020, I raised $8000+ for my local animal shelter.  I did this in conjunction with completing a virtual Everest on Zwift ... riding repeats of the Alpe Du Zwift climb in one single activity, until I ascended 29,028 feet.  A feat which took just under 13 hours.

Now I could just ask for donations and do nothing else.  But, for me, I need some sort of physical/mental challenge to accompany my requests for money from YOU.  It makes me feel that I am earning your dollars. And these days, I understand that budgets are tight.

I currently have 2 Everesting events under my belt.  The one I mentioned above and a road version I did prior to that on the Foothills Parkway, with my Rescue Racing partner, Scott Morman.  My first thought, was to do another, on gravel.  But then, another of my Rescue Racing team mates, David Jolin, wanted to join me. 

The more I thought about it, having David drive 8 hours from Ohio, to only get to see one 3.5 mile section of relatively boring gravel, 30 times, would just be cruel.  He should be able to ride through some of the best parts of the Cherokee National Forest and the Cohutta Wilderness.  So I have decided to do a Death March Revival yo-yo.  


94 miles, 13,800 feet of gain

What's a yo-yo, you ask?  It is riding the course in one direction and then, upon completion, turning around and riding it in the opposite direction.  This plus doing an extra climb on FS 45, will give me the elevation gain equal to the height of Mount Everest.  This won't be a true Everesting event, because the elevation gain must take place by doing repeats of one climb only. Nonetheless, it will be excruciatingly hard ... right up my alley of #doinghardthings.



I am planning my adventure for sometime around the summer solstice.  I will choose a date, either on June 22 or 23, depending on weather.

Since my virtual Everest in July 2020, the animal shelter has acquired a new building.  It is much larger and in a better location.  But, a lot of renovation needs to be done.  And for this, money is needed.  With this larger space, they will be able to house more animals and in a controlled environment.  

I am humbly asking you to give what you can.  Every little bit helps.  I am telling myself that the more I raise, the easier it will be to finish it😏.  My goal is to raise $2500 and perhaps find a "Ellen" or a "Rachel Ray" who could match it.

I am going to set up a FaceBook fundraiser where you can donate.  By donating here, I will be able to tell exactly how much I raise.  But if you want to donate directly to the animal shelter, here is the website for the McMinn Regional Humane Society.  If you donate directly, please tell me the dollar amount in the "Comments" section, so I can keep a running total.

Thank you and Happy Tails and Trails!

Carey

No comments: