Friday, March 17, 2023

Snake Creek Gap TT -- 34 Mile



What a difference one month later makes.  Even though the starting temperature was 33 degrees, I was never once was cold.  The light rain the night before did not affect trail conditions.  The course was dry and fast.  "Fast" for Snake standards is still dauntingly tough; every year the rocks grow and the steeper sections get more blown out.  

I managed to get off the line a little after 8 am, thanking the volunteers for "turning the heat up" this month.  I would be more than happy to contribute to the heat bill next year, if they needed the funds for February, too.  There were still a couple puddles to dance around in the first two miles and I used the first climb to warm up the engine.  The first bit of single track was quite "sticky,"; lots of blow downs and smaller limbs to contend with.  Staying conservative, I dismounted for most of the log crossings; one thing I have not mastered is log hopping.

Cruising down the gravel moguls, I had a difficult time accessing my pocket for my gel flask.  Once I managed to get it, I then had to hold it in my mouth until the ensuing climb.  I got squirrely on the descent off Pine Needle Hill, but managed to save it.  The "horsed up" area around Pocket Road had improved significantly over last month.  I found the "secret passage" through the following creek crossing and kept my feet dry.

The Horn Mountain climb was no easier; this one is always a gut punch for me. I rolled down into the parking lot aid station in 1:59.  Only 9 minutes faster than last month ... hmmm.   And those 9 minutes were probably all due to improved course conditions.  I also noticed my heart rate never exceeded 150 on the climbs; well below what I am used to.  I did the same as last month, ditching the CamelBak, grabbing a bottle, and chugging a gel.

Middle Mountain was pleasant.  I had just ridden this section a few days ago with Honcho leading the way.  I imagined him and his floofy little pantalones just ahead of me as I ground my way up this 1.5 mile climb.




I cruised the descent, plowed through the creek crossings, and then began climbing up to the single track section.  I was tired but in my happy place and looking forward to challenging myself on the endless rock gardens for the umpteenth time.  I dropped my seat on the vomit hill descent and, at the bottome, when I hit the button to raise it ... nothing.  Grrrr!  All momentum was lost.  I stopped, removed my seat bag, uninstalled and then reinstalled the battery, and voila!  It worked again.  This was the second time this has happened to me with my AXS Reverb dropper.  I HAB'd up to a level spot and hopped back on.

I made short work of the remaining single track.  Well, not really, but was having so much fun on this last section, the cell towers were there before I knew it.  I finished up with an aero tuck down to the finish, riding through at 4:23.

My second half of the race went much better, shaving off 12 minutes from last month.  And feeling strong while doing it.  And this second half of the course wasn't much different than last month's in terms of conditions, so I gotta say it was my fitness that did it here.  At least that is what I am telling myself.

No other 40+ women showed up, so I took the W by default.  I wish more women would race The Snake, but it takes you wanting to go to the "hurt locker" to sign up for it.




Huge shout out to all the volunteers in making this happen, for the 19th year in a row.  There is so much "behind-the-scenes" work to make this happen.  It is no small feat and they give up a lot of their personal time, so that we can have fun for a few hours.  I am afraid that next year, the 20th, may be The Snake's last.  As much as I would love to continue to race this long into my 60's, if it is indeed the final one, I will shed some tears, but will continue to challenge myself on the "trail that bites!"

I also need to take a deep dive into my own health, as this inability to hit my heart rate at the higher end of my perceived efforts has me concerned.  I feel ok, initial bloodwork is normal, but my cardiovascular system has been "off" since December.  And then I got 2 respiratory infections, one the week before Christmas, and the other the week after my Florida bike-cation.  Could they be a factor still?  Time to get all "sciency". 

No comments: