Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Tour de Burg part 2

 


Stage 3

I was seeing this as a "rest" day, being as it was all road save for an 11 mile gravel segment.  At 9 am, the slum rolled peacefully slow towards Shenandoah Mountain on smooth pavement, quite a change from the last two days' chundery gnar.  After 25 miles, the first timed segment began with a climb up and over Briery Branch Gap, then down to the gravel of FS61 and FS61H, a distance of about 16 miles.


Over and back on that mountain in the distance

The legs were great on the slum, and semi-decent on anything less than 6% grade, but once the road pitched up to 9% or greater, they just would not go.  I settled in and focused on Sue and Tomi's wheel, just trying to hang with them to the top, but even with their help, I still popped off with about a mile to go.  I was so happy to see Mike at the top because then I knew the descending would begin.  The backside off the gap was buttery smooth pavement that I could take at a good speed.

The gravel section was everything from chunky bedrock to smooth dirt.  It undulated in such a way that I was able to carry momentum through the rollers and turns, finding a good rhythm that my legs were happy with.  Ferns, ferns, ferns lined the gravel ... absolutely beautiful.



A good number of riders opted to ride their road bikes.  I would say the puncture rate was 50%.  I arrived at the lunch stop with plenty of time to fuel and rest.  My time for the segment was 1:52


Lunch break selfie, bellies happy

We then party paced over to the next timed section, which was back over Briery Branch Gap from the opposite direction, all pavement and 12 miles.  I was toast even before I got started; my legs didn't feel good until the descent 😅.  My time for this segment was 1:02. At the end of the segment, all the ladies (one of the biggest fields in TdB history) were called up to have a group photo.


Such a strong showing of powah


After this, we were supposed to slum the 25 miles back to town.  Well, that party pace must have been on amphetamines because once the pavement leveled off, I could not even keep up in the draft, first popping off the front group and then the second group.  I eventually found my group and slowly pedaled back to the Court Square.  The road day ended up being 85 miles, 8000 feet, and total ride time of 7:05.


Stage 4

Back to the mountain bikes, this day started off with a mere 2 miles to warm up the legs before hitting the Lookout climb on the Wild Oak NRT.  At least the trail was dry, for had it not been, it would have made for a long HAB.  The trail opened up and smoothed out a little, but the Hanky double track climb, a series of 5 pitches, was still an SOB.  Once on Dowell's Draft, I could catch my breath a little, but this was still a technically tough descent, at least until I got to Magic Moss, where I could open it up.  But, oh, how those little uphills hurt so.  My legs got bogged down in lactic.  This timed section was 12 miles and took 1:57.  

Magic Moss exit

A nice 7 mile gravel pedal over to the beginning of the second timed segment allowed me to prepare myself for the next heinous climb, the Horse Trough Hollow section of the Wild Oak NRT, a 3 mile 2000 foot beast.  I tried staying on Lindsey's wheel, but about halfway up the front wheel began wavering due to the steepness and my fatigue ... and I was off, walking.  The next 30 minutes of this hour climb included small bits of riding, but mostly HAB, especially when the underbrush got so thick I could not see the trail.  Finally on top, it was not much easier, as the Chestnut Ridge and Grindstone descents were loose and sketchy and interspersed were short grunty climbs.  This was some seriously fun, but difficult trail.  Time for this 10 mile section was 2:00.  Overall, it was a 30 mile, 5600 foot, 5:28 total time day of a good ole mountain beat down.

Today's reward was a good cold soak in the Stokesville blue hole.  Nothing like an ice'ish like soaking in the river to numb the thrashed legs.

To be continued ...




No comments: