Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Shanna Powell, Sponsor Spotlight

I met Shanna Powell of Endless Bike Company at the 2009 ORAMM.  What I remember the most about that race was that a single speeder placed 4th!  That crazy one-geared lady with the phenomenal smile was none other than Shanna.  At this point in my life, I was still skeptical about single speeds, but beginning to open up to the idea that it just might make me a stronger rider.

2009 ORAMM 


Shanna briefly talked to me about her single speed cogs.  I filed it under "Miscellaneous" in my brain, alongside antibiotic therapy for hedgehogs and left it at that.  Fast forward to December 2009.  Under advisement by Coach as a training tool and Zeke as a way to have a different kind of fun, I ordered my first single speed frame and began to have it built up.  My wheelset came with an 18T "heavy-ass" cog.  If I was going to ride a bike with one gear, then I wanted it to be as light as economically possible.

Remembering my conversation with Shanna, I got in touch and soon received a small collection of sweet, light weight kick-ass cogs!  The cogs are made from 7075-T6 alloy and are 1/4" wide.  Talk about "riding without a chain."  Run her cogs and it will feel like you are.  Oh, and they are made in  North Carolina.

2012 Snake Creek Gap TT

With that order came my first unsolicited sponsorship!  Nice!  I have been using her cogs now for 2 1/2 years and absolutely love them.  They are very light (20T = 35 grams) and durable.  I know, I know, it is not a fork or a wheel or a crank, but having one less component to worry about failing or wearing out makes life that much simpler.  And let me tell you, I need simple!


2009 6 Hours of Warrior Creek

What I love about Shanna is her simple beauty.  With her never ending smile (check out all the photos) she radiates happiness.  She is infectious ... in a good way.  Even with her recent run of bad luck, i.e. ACL injury/surgery, she has an upbeat attitude.  Every lap of Warrior Creek, she yelled, "Go, Carey!"  That was a great motivator for me.  Afterwards, when she congratulated me on my win, I told her, "It was the cog!"

What more can I say?  We all need to smile more ... like Shanna!

Now, if I could just get my hands on some of her coffee!

No comments: